It’s day 5 of the blogging challenge and I am already late to it. Partly because I am not used to it and mostly because I was creating a great dinner party in my head. This is leads to the quote used for the assignment: “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” Confucius.
Assignment #5: Write about a dinner Party you’re throwing and select five strangers to attend.
These strangers can be anyone, living, dead or fictional. Invite people who would create a meaningful experience, or a whimsical one. It’s up to you.
- Explain why you’ve selected these 5 individuals.
- What contributions would they bring to the conversation?
- Who would you seat next to one another?
- What are you serving for dinner?
For my imaginary party I decided not to complicate myself. I kept the invitation to people that are no longer living and that way I don’t have to go crazy thinking about the possibility of all the others that are living or fictional characters. Besides, I will never get to meet the people on my list so I might as well have fun.
1. Jesus Christ: He’s the first one that popped into my head. Why? I don’t know exactly. No one said the blog had to make sense. I have some questions for him. No, I just want to hang out and see what he has to say. He also drinks wine;and though he knew what would soon be; AND he was betrayed, he went ahead and had his last supper.
2. Marie Curie: At some point I came across a quote that I fell in love with. It says: “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.” I’d never heard of Marie Curie so I decided to read up on her and found out she was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize. Two actually, one in Physics and the other in Chemistry.
3. Selena: Sigh. It was 1995 on a Saturday night when mom called me over to her run. “Run, come see this.” I hated that. When people tell you to run over to watch something at TV. I’ve done it too but anyway, mom was watching Don Francisco and wanted me to see this “new” fabulous singer. Her voice; her presence. A few months later her first single in English would wake me up in the mornings: I Could Fall in Love. I thought it was Madonna. It wasn’t. It was Selena after she had left Earth. Listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJHGC6PQ9w&feature=kp
4. Minerva Mirabal: I heard of Minerva Mirabal through my grandmother. She admired her for standing up to the dictator Trujillo in the Dominican Republic along with her sisters. She also refused to give in to the dictator’s demands. She was killed along with her sisters an that was the last straw for those that had enough of the dictator.
5. Ralph Waldo Emerson: Self Reliance is one of my favorite writings. Here is an excerpt:
What I must do is all that concerns me, not what the people think. This rule, equally arduous in actual and in intellectual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness. It is the harder, because you will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know it. It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.
I have prepared a wide array of food for my guests. I think Jesus ate fish so I had mom cook a few, those that come without the eyes and also had her make Dominican food for Minerva. I don’t make it myself because I am not the best at it and I want them to be pleased. After the long journey to my home they deserve the best. I wasn’t sure what Marie would like so I called a Polish acquaintance and asked about what she might like and he offered to bring something for me to have just in case she is in the mood for it. For Selena I ordered Pizza because I know she was crazy about it and since she is in NYC after all then she should have some. I also ordered hot sauce from the Mex joint next door because she liked to add it to her Pizza. For Emerson, I figured he’d eat Dominican food but if he was unhappy with that then I would have some menus ready to get a delivery. He’s a non conformist so I don’t know how to make him happy.
My table is round so no one gets a middle seat though I somehow get Jesus the seat that looks the most appealing. The one that doesn’t face the back of the door. If Judas shows up I am not opening the door. Minerva sits next to Jesus and on the other side is Marie Curie. I sit next to Minerva and Selena is next to me on the other side, followed by Emerson. Selena was the last to arrive. Jesus was the first. Awkward moment when he saw I had his picture hanging here. Made me look like a stalker. When I mentioned something about it he said: That doesn’t even look like me. I would have never known.
After telling them how thankful I am for their existence and contributions to Earth I would have some light music and individual small talk with each one. Selena and I talk about the love for Pizza and I’d ask her about her best performance moments. I let her know her fans still rave about and watch her last performance at the Astrodome in Texas.
I’d come clean with Marie Curie about not knowing anything about Science but that I really appreciate her work anyway and he quote is fantastic. It helped me for a whole year and I am glad she shared it because it is inspiring to others. I wouldn’t tell her I blogged about it because I don’t think she would care but I will share it here for you guys: http://joselynm.wpengine.com/words-to-live-by-perseverance-confidence/#.Uy4aMijEi3s Wait, maybe I will tell her and she will read it. She did come to my dinner party after all. Then I’d show her the microwave and she will be really excited about it.
Emerson, he’d be the funniest one. We would have chats about everything from movies to non conformity. He’s going around the room making everyone laugh and spends most time with Selena.
I had to meet Minerva Mirabal. Her dreams to study to become a lawyer were squashed by the dictator but she didn’t stop there. She was loyal to her country and family even if she was placed in danger.
Nooooo I just forgot to invite Queen Elizabeth the I! Damn it. She will never forgive me for that one. This is when party planning becomes difficult. I just remembered. How could I forget? Oh well.
Finally, I get the nerve to talk to Jesus about some things and he answers in parables. I was afraid of that! Well I thank him again and ask him if he is really going to come back. He tells me: “Look at the Lillies in the Field, how they grow, they toil not, neither do they spin.” I take a second but, we don’t have fields in NYC with Lillies. He then says: Seek and Ye Shall find. I was afraid of that answer.
Our party was over at midnight. Everyone had a good time. I asked Jesus if he would come back. He said he would. Then I opened my eyes. It was all a dream.
For more info on this blog challenge, check out www.imperfectblogging.com